Sunday, February 1, 2015

Courage the Cowardly Dog.. Really a kid show?

Hi everyone! Recently I saw a video about someone's top 10 creepiest Courage the Cowardly Dog episodes which reminded me of the show. Watching some scenes again made me realize why my parents would freak out every time they catch me watching it. As creepy as it is, I used to eagerly watch the show and anticipate the next episode. Looking back at the episodes now makes me wonder, how I, along with most of other children, used to watch this show. IT'S SO CREEPY! I'm going to count down my top 5 creepiest episodes and tell you why I'm seriously questioning how this is a kid show! 

5. 
Does anyone else remember this episode? Muriel gets possessed by a demon, hence the name of the episode "Demon in the Mattress" and she turns into, well, that. Her voice becomes scary, she turns her head around 180 degrees, and she looks frightening with that red hair and scary face expression. How did child me react to demon possession? I can't even begin to imagine, but all I know is that I really enjoyed the creep factor of this show.

4.
OH MY FREAKY FRED! Just seeing his face again made the word "naughty" pop into my head. This guy is Muriel's cousin or something, and he pays them a visit in one of the episodes in which he shaves Courage's fur. His weird thoughts that we would see while he shaves Courage and the way he always rhymed when he talked in addition to him constantly saying "naughty", give me the chills! I mean just look at that smile *shudder*.

3.
Out of all the episodes ever, I think everyone remembers this one; I've talked about this episode with my friends a good number of times. We would always end up saying "return the slab" in our creepiest voices possible. This episode made its mark in every single kid's memory because it was downright scary. The graphics were terrifying cause they don't look realistic at all which made the entire scene even creepier. I can still close my eyes and clearly see this dude moving his arms and saying "return the slab" as if I were watching it right now. 

2.
Sorry for the bad quality picture guys but I couldn't find anything better and I just had to include this episode in my top 5. Muriel and Eustace are really DEAD here and Courage is controlling them like puppets making them act as if they aren't dead. OH MY GOD! Am I the only one who thinks that is beyond creepy?! I actually remember feeling a pang of loneliness while watching this scene cause Courage is alone in the middle of the nowhere with two dead people whom he so desperately wants to stay alive. I don't think I'm the only kid who ran to their parents when this episode finished, lol!

1.
This might not be everyone's creepiest episode but it is to me! In this episode a so-called Queen of the Black Puddle comes out of her puddle and tries to reel Eustace into her puddle. She comes up into their room and takes him to the puddle, in which she dances for him keeping him entertained then turns into a monster and tries to eat him. Of course, Courage once again saves his family. But the scenes were terrifying, her outer appearance is actually quite feminine aside from you know the ultimate CRAZY WITCHY LOOK, which makes it even more frightening. In the back of my head, I remember that Courage makes her get sucked into their bathtub drain but I couldn't find this scene on Youtube, although I really wanted to discuss that cause it was my creepiest scene in the entire episode. If anyone remembers this, or has a link to a site where the clip is available please tell me!

Now that I counted down my top 5 creepy Courage the Cowardly Dog episodes, I can say that I think, as children, we really enjoyed the adrenaline rush we felt watching this. It's scary, it's creepy, but it's a kid show and we were allowed to watch it. There were a lot of scary movies at the time that we couldn't watch cause they were too graphic for kids, and the fact that the same ideas of these movies were all concentrated into a children's show made us feel excited to watch it! I hope you liked my post and I really hope it made you check your own creepiest episodes on Youtube! Keep it creepy everyone, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment